Saturday, January 31, 2015

Evicting Cancer Causing Agents- Part 1

Call me over protective. Call me a health nut. Call me plain crazy. I don't care. I am on a mission to cut all of the known cancer causing agents out of my house! As I write this to you my 82 year old grandmother lays in a bed in the hospital with anywhere from days to weeks to live. Why? CANCER! She had melanoma several years ago in a mole and she had it removed. It came back into the lymph nodes in her neck and they removed all of the lymph nodes and muscle in her neck but now its back and it is in her brain. It absolutely is killing me to see her laying there like she is. It is killing me to see my father cry over the thought of what is coming. While I may not be able to prevent environment cancer causing agents from being present, I can prevent from putting them into my body and on my skin. So today, I am kicking deodorant! I'm not going to be stinking because I have made a D.I.Y deodorant for both me and my husband AND IT WORKS!! Plus, it has NO cancer causing agents!
So here is the low down. The ingredient that is in the deodorant that causes cancer is cyclopentasiloxane. You can check out The Environmental Working Group for more information. Most deodorants also contain aluminum. I have read several articles claiming that,

"In reality, it's almost impossible to absorb enough aluminum through the skin to harm the kidneys. "Unless you eat your stick or spray it into your mouth, your body can't absorb that much aluminum," says nephrologist Leslie Spry, MD, FACP, spokesperson for the National Kidney Foundation."- WebMD
But I have this question to ask. If you can not absorb enough through your skin to harm you then that means you can not absorb enough through your skin to help you then, right? Why do they make nicotine patches and birth control patches if you can not absorb enough through your skin? Our skin is our largest organ and from now on, I will watch what I expose my body to and that includes my skin.

Here is what got me started looking up ingredients in deodorants. My husband has been having sores come up in his arm pits. They are very sore and appear to have "rocks" at the surface of the skin. Once I remove those "rocks" sweat and pus pour out. (I know, grosss, uckkk, TMI!) Well several days ago I noticed a new black looking place. I am watching it and if it doesn't go away we will be headed to the dermatologist to have it checked. In the mean time I discovered how to make deodorant for me and the hubs that does work. He was using prescription strength deodorant because of the sweating and odor and this recipe WORKS. And it does not break us out or make us itch like some deodorants do.  Today I have the man's deodorant recipe for you and tomorrow I will feature the women's deodorant.

 Man Deodorant (solid)
  •  2 Tablespoons corn starch
  •  1 Tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 tsp. Vitamin E oil
  • 2 drops orange essential oil
  • 2 drops ta tree                              
  • 2 drops lavender                            
  • 2 drops lemongrass                       
  • 2 drops patchouli
  • Coconut oil that is firm
(The essential oils that I have listed are optional. I chose these to heal the sores under my husbands arm and to try to repair and heal that black place that has came up. The essential oils are up to you.)

Melt the coconut oil while it is still in the container. Mix the powders, vitamin E oil and essential oils in a small glass bowl. Pour 2 Tablespoons of the melted coconut oil into the bowl. Mix until there is not clumps. Pour into a glass container to firm. (I used a baby food jar that I had in my cabinet.)

To use put a small amount on your fingers and rub until melted. Rub under arms. Works ALL day long. (Even for hard labor like working on cars. And this is coming from a man who had to have prescription strength to be satisfied!)

It's healthy he's happy= win win! Let me know how it works for you.

3 comments:

  1. Any reason why this wouldn't suit a woman? Also I have read that baking soda burns some people. Interesting that your husband hasn't experienced any irritation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason at all Debbie. In fact my sister in law is going to try it. I just posted a spray recipe for women as well. Not sure which you would prefer. I had read that about the bakimg soda as well. That is why I added the vitamin E oil and did more corn starch than baking soda. It may burn some but hasn't him. From what Ibimderstand it is the soda that keeps odor down and the starch keeps one dry. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Kyliegh, great job on eliminating the cancer causing products! I just tried a homemade deodorant this week that is working. If my husband has problems with it, I will try your recipe out for him. Thanks for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. And I am sorry about your grandmother...

    ReplyDelete

Hey There- It's Been A While!

Well hey there dear! How you been? Hasn't our world been just crazy here lately!? So much has happened since I last posted but I have tr...